sviko.com

Express testing of Transcend 1Tb (TS1TSSD230S) SSD

More recently, we talked about the fact that rarely requested data can be stored on the HDD, and what should always be at hand, for example, work projects or even games - on fast SSD. But time goes, and now the “gold” in 1 TB of SSD drives has dropped in price so much that we change the paradigm and say: today filopovic already can be stored on the SATA SSD, and the files that need fast access to NVME drives. We constantly test solid-state drives, and their speed is really impressive, but on my motherboard only 2 M. 2 slots and as many as 8 SATA 600 ports, so if you really clog the volume of SSD-shkami, it is models with SATA interface.

Transcend SSD230S is a typical solid state disk for desktops and laptops. It can not even be called modern, because our colleagues have already done reviews of these 512 GB drives back in 2017. In those days the testers wrote that these drives have chips 3D NAND memory production Micron and controllers Silicon Motion SM2258. Our test drive of 1TB was able to open only the upper lid, behind which adorn the 4 chip NAND memory with marking Transcend 41-4450-S04DK and 1 chip cache SEC 913 K484G16 of 512 MB. It is clearly visible that the elements on the Board are mounted on both sides, but unscrew the screws that attach the Board to the SSD housing, I could not.

SSD-Z was also not particularly informative.

SSD-Z

In principle, with such input data, only the claimed resource is important for me: 560 TBW, backed by a 5-year warranty. This means that the drive can be used in the tail and in the mane, and even installed in the NAS for video surveillance systems with constant cyclic recording. Simply put, the resource in the next 5 years, you can not even think, and then you look - and there will be completely different volumes and interfaces. But we got distracted, and it’s time to move on to the tests.

Testing

Motherboard - ASRock Taichi X470 Ultimate
Processor - AMD 1600 Ryzen 5
SSD connected to the first SATA slot
Memory-32 GB
Windows 10
IOmeter, a Pseudo Random pattern (1 thread)

Traditionally, we start with a simple test Crystal Disk Benchmark, which I call " test for 5-year-old girls." This benchmark has nothing to do with the actual performance of the drive, and we give it only to those who love it.

Transcend

As you can see, even in this test I use a 32GB file with 5 cycles to pull more or less real data. After that I turned off TRIM and double fill all space of the SSD pattern Pseudo Random IOmeter test package. This will give you the" not new " state of the SSD, after which TRIM will be enabled, and each of the tests will run with a 5-minute idle mode, during which the SSD can perform garbage collection or optimization.

During this test, about 146 GB of data was downloaded from the disk, and we see that even the drawdown caused by the apparent speed of the cache was purely symbolic: from 500 to 485 MB/s.

In this test, about 87 GB of data is written to the drive, and here we see that the SLC cache runs out quickly enough, after about 50 GB of permanent recording, and then the speed decreases to quite a need 120-130 MB/s. What does this mean in practice? In most cases, even when burning backups or images of virtuallock, you will receive 400 to 500 MB/s write, but at the very least - 120 MB/s, which is still more than the performance of 1-Gigabit network. At the very beginning of the test we see a decrease in speed to 33 MB / s, which lasts about 6 seconds. I think this is due to clearing the cache, and in general, these results are not repeated.

Today it is very common to hear about the access time when writing to the SSD. In fact, in some cases, since bit data left on the drive until he said “OK, bit written,” it may take 10 or 20 seconds, at which time the computer will freeze and no longer respond to keystrokes. For HDD such behavior would mean that the heads of the hard drive stumbled on a bad sector and try to read it, over and over again getting an error, and for many SSDS this is normal behavior. Typically, a 5-minute intensive recording detects this behavior of the drive, but in the case of IOMeter, errors occur in the test itself, which periodically shows the access time of 100,000 seconds, longer than the test itself. Removing such readings, we see that in the slowest case the delay does not exceed 27 MS, and in the area of SLC caching-up to 5 MS.

Drives for home use, we test in 1 stream, if there is no need for any specialized tests. Of course, for the sake of interest I tried to squeeze maximum IOPS-s of the 1-terabyte model, and got 91537 IOPS read IOPS 72043 and write 512-stream test 4K Rnd Access. The manufacturer claims on 85 thousand IOPS in both directions, and in General, it is necessary to understand that it is only about caching, and prolonged multi-threaded write delay increases to 100 MS, and the rate of IOPS drops to 3-4 thousand.

But even in 1-stream mode, we see that random recording is clearly not the strong point of this drive.

We have seen that there is no such increase in latency when recording sequentially, so I believe that it is not the memory, but the controller. What does this mean in practice? For laptop or desktop PC absolutely-nothing. The intensive random write is rare, and when you swap operating system. What can I say, let’s move on to our patterns, among which almost all combine random and sequential access.

I would say: stable, but not enough. Yes, while you still have Adobe Premiere when importing video rests on the speed of the processor, but NVME drives in this test show 2-3 times greater speed.
Other than" failure, " I cannot characterize the results of the Capture One test. There are simultaneous write and read volumes of 1 MB and 128 KB, and as soon as the cache ends, the speed subsides to the level of the flash d rive.
Recording large blocks again shows weak results in the test Acronis Backup, but in this case, caching is still somehow helps to keep the average speed around 80 MB/s. Although, when small amounts of write cache will show even 400-460 MB/s.
Overall, Transcend SSD230S behaves as expected budget drive: shows good results when reading and raises the presser foot up when it is recording tens or hundreds of gigabytes.

Recommendations for use

Transcend SSD230S suitable for the following tasks:

• Windows / Linux system drive on desktop or laptop
  • File storage
  • Games
  • Normal office work (Word / Excel / CRM / multimedia tasks)
  • Installation in the home NAS as the main carrier + video surveillance

Transcend SSD230S not suitable for following tasks:

• Virtualization
  • Storage of backups